Department of Botany was established on 22nd July, 1927 with Prof. Atul Ch. Dutta as the founding head of the department. In his memory A.C. Dutta Bhawan was inaugurated on 4th Feb., 1994 by then Hon’ble Chief minister of Assam.
It maintains a herbarium with 3000 sheets. It also has a museum which harbours many plant specimens, plant based products and paleobotanical specimens. Departmental garden is maintained with many medicinal and RET plants of Assam and of North East India in general.
The department is presently running Botany course of HS; UG course in Botany Honours or Major; PG in Botany and Ph.D. in Botany.
It has a hobby center and runs a annual wall magazine named “Gulancha”.